From the DJ that brought you a decade of Lutons longest running dedicated goth club -
The Coven UK
Including the epic post-punk pub nights - Thursday Fury, Dark Night In Luton and The Friday Alternative.

Monday, 28 January 2019

Crash Course For The Ravers - 26.1.2019

As so famously quoted "consistency being the last refuge of the unimaginative" (thanks Oscar) the third and last retrospective tribute to the late great David Bowie was performed over the weekend. It'd been a long ride since the last event back in Jan 2017, and although we had a few negative aspects against us, what with the pub moving the initial booking from the official Bowie weekend for a Polish charity event and the annoying act of some c*** ripping down the main (and expensive) poster, which was only discovered missing by myself and Sharon walking past the pub the Sunday night before. Luckily, we had some smaller posters available to replace it, yet bafflingly I found the big poster rolled up behind the bar in the wine storage rack of the pub on the night, so why it wasn't simply replaced is beyond me!

Regardless, with the 27 album back catalogue available to play, an earlier start than normal was advertised and we kicked off this grand event to pretty much an empty pub which was a shame as I remember the last two events actually having fans already gathered in anticipation, so you can imagine our disappointment. After a frantic search for the decorations left by Jane, we quickly stuck up the stars with seconds to spare, and started the music. After two hours of great music and tumbleweeds, my partner in crime had left in frustration, but by 11pm, all of a sudden it was 4 people deep at the bar, and the night magically came alive. Although it was a bit of a shocker to see an empty dancefloor to Ziggy Stardust, but Rebel Rebel & Kooks brought people back to a relatively busy dancefloor for the duration, but still nothing like the two past events. Still, we all sang our hearts out and made the most of our night and I suppose that's all that matters.

So a very big thank you to the loyal Bowie fans that ventured out and supported the night, those that help share the Facebook event, Jane for the invitation list and decorations, and the G2 for the chance to host the night one last time. As I mention, I seriously doubt another main tribute night will happen again, but with so many albums from David Bowie's back catalogue, there's always room for specific anniversary nights in the future. Remember "Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."(David Bowie)

Setlist
Sunday
Station To Station
Speed Of Light
You've Been Around
Friday On My Mind
Sue (Or in a Season of Crime)
I've Been Waiting For You
Fame
Drive-In Saturday
Ricochet
Survive
1984
Changes
Fantastic Voyage
Alternative Candidate
Always Crashing In The Same Car
I'm Deranged
Day-in Day-out
I Have Not Been To Oxford Town
See Emily Play
Velvet Goldmine
I Took A Trip On a Gemini Spaceship
Days
Here Comes The Night
Valentine's Day
Scream Like a Baby
Wild Is The Wind ®
Life On Mars? ®
Let's Spend The Night Together
The Jean Genie
D.J.
(You Will) Set The World On Fire
Blue Jean
TVC15
Be My Wife
Suffragette City
Star
Ashes To Ashes
I'm Waiting For The Man
China Girl
Cat People (Putting Out Fire)
The Stars (Are Out Tonight)
Ziggy Stardust
Rebel Rebel
Kooks
Boys Keep Swinging
Love You Till Tuesday
Starman ®
New Killer Star
Watch That Man
Little Wonder ®
'Tis a Pity She Was a Whore
Andy Warhol (Session)
Everyone Says 'Hi'
The Pretty Things Are Going To Hell
Queen Bitch
Sound And Vision
Let's Dance
Stay ®
Breaking Glass
Fashion
The Prettiest Star
I'm Afraid Of Americans
I Feel Free
Young Americans
Panic In Detroit
Golden Years
Modern Love
Heroes
Never Let Me Down
Rock 'n' Roll Suicide
Moonage Daydream
The Man Who Sold The World
Waterloo Sunset
Hang On To Yourself
John, I'm only Dancing ®
Sorrow
Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)
Cactus
Cracked Actor
Space Oddity
Art Decade
I Can’t Give Everything Away



No comments:

Post a Comment