It would only be for friends that I would indulge in such revelry, but to be invited to anyone’s wedding, let alone perform music for their special day is always a total honour in my opinion.
After a brief meeting which now seems like months ago, the groom and I discussed background and expectations, especially with my regard to ensure the knowledge that this was my first wedding gig.
More months of waiting for the guests to select favourite songs as well as the ‘must plays’ on the night by the bride and groom, certainly was an anxious time for me. When I first met Jeff and Julia in March, I was DJing goth/industrial , 80s and Ska, so when the set of 70s soul and funk arrived as well as more commercial modern tunes arrived, I was a bit shocked! Talk about being out of my comfort zone! Still, keeping the party happy was my prime concern and a great night was had by all.
Plus I got to work with the band “Fishing For Robots” once more, and having spent most of the day with them at the wedding, was great to get to know them all better and I’m hoping more dates will come of it too.
So after a delayed start, I did actually lose about an hours worth of playing time in order to get the band on at the allotted time, but no one was bothered, and the night went without a hitch, although my laptop froze before I could do my soundcheck which was a scary few minutes, especially after I’d originally turned it on earlier to warm up. Bloody technology!
Surface - Falling In Love
Fern Kinney - Together We Are Beautiful
Brooklyn Bronx and Queens Band - On The Beat
Heatwave - The Groove Line
George Benson - Lady Love Me (One More Time)
Gene Chandler - Get Down
Burak Yeter - Tuesday
Change - A Lovers Holiday
Phyliss Hyman - Under Your Spell
Narada Michael Walden - I Shoulda Loved Ya
Andy Gibb - I Just Want To Be Your Everything (First Dance)
Earth, Wind & Fire - September
The Whispers - And The Beat Goes On
Billy Paul - Bring The Family Back
The Brothers Johnson - Strawberry Letter 23
Fishing For Robots
Second Set
Sophie Bellis-Baxter - Murder On The Dance Floor
The Killers - Joy Ride
Average White Band - Let's Go Round Again
Chic - Good Times
Earth, Wind & Fire - Let's Groove
Kool & The Gang - Celebration
A Taste of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie
The Whispers - It's A Love Thing
War - Low Rider
InDeep - Last Night A DJ Saved My Life
The Gap Band - Oops Upside Your Head (Edit)
Wham! - Club Tropicana
Van McCoy - The Shuffle
Shalamar - I Can Make You Feel Good
Cheryl Lynn - Encore
Hot Chocolate - You Sexy Thing
Men Without Hats - Safety Dance ®
Madonna - Crazy For You ®
Imagination - Body Talk
Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive
The Brothers Johnson - Stomp!
George Benson - Give Me The Night
Sister Sledge - He's The Greatest Dancer
Luther Vandros - Never Too Much
Billy Ocean - Get Out Of My Dreams (And Into My Car)


No comments:
Post a Comment