From the DJ that brought you a decade of Lutons longest running dedicated goth club -
The Coven UK
Including the epic post-punk pub nights - Thursday Fury, Dark Night In Luton and The Friday Alternative.

Saturday, 12 November 2022

Armagideon Times 11.11.2022

"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

So did anyone else that attended get the relevance of the title of the night? Coincidence? Fate? Who knows. All I can tell you is, this is certainly not the first time Greene King has fucked over its punters and entertainers by putting ignorant landlords into a pub with such a strong history, and if the sub heading is anything to go by, doubt it'll be the last.

So, musically, somewhat of a departure for me, but surely another string to my bow (?) and after having the original date scrubbed due to Covid, this was my best chance to play this set. Unfortunately, the new landlords had other ideas. Welcome to Friday nights in Luton! 

With no passing trade, and very little to even venture into Luton for these days (so God bless Andy Chesham for his continuing nights at THF.) But they, I'm professional right? 20 years under my belt, I can read a crowd well and I'm also open to requests and obviously had a very good idea whom would be attending (hence the event anyway!) Yet I still had praise and people dancing from what few people were in the pub. Even if you only please that one person, its never a waste of your time. 

But what is a waste of my time is being constantly told the new landlords don't appreciate what I'm playing and insist I start playing 80s. Hello - have you seen who's in your pub? I even get blamed for people leaving throughout the early part of the night. Nothing to do with the fact your bar is very poorly stocked, and you've put out those god damn uncomfortable chairs that the previous tenants have been trying to sell for over 12 months!!

Well, after four arguments with the power tripping landlords daughter, I've had enough, close it down, pick up my posters, inform the supporting punters and walk, leaving them with no entertainment, and an even emptier pub. I think their line "We own this pub. We didn't book you.' Do what we tell you" was the clincher. I gave up trying to explain I was trying to help them make money, but they obviously know better. Last time I'll drink or entertain in there whilst its under its present occupancy. Think you know better than me? Fucking good luck to you - you're gonna need it. As most of you know, it took a lot of courage for me to do the night considering my recent past, but that's me done now until the landlords are replaced.(Apparently their last straw was the 'house' music I was playing. That was the Killing Joke track. Think that says it all!)

Dexy's Midnight Runners - Burn It Down
New Age Steppers - Problems
Scientist - Jab
Willie Williams - Armagideon Time
Killing Joke - Ghosts Of Ladbroke Grove (Portobello Dub)
Phillip Fraser - Bad Boys
UB40 - Don't Let It Pass You By
The Revolutionaries - 79 Rock
Stiff Little Fingers - Barbed Wire Love
Willie Brackenridge & Soul Syndicate - Blood Money
The Specials - Too Much Too Young (Album Version)
Earth And Stone with Trinity - Why Girl - Did We Have To Part
The Ruts - Give Youth A Chance
Jubba Tate - African Girl
The Slits - I Heard It Through The Grapevine
Bob Marley & The Wailers - No Woman No Cry ®
Sugar Minott & Ranking Dread - Superstar
Lacksley Castell - Jah Love Is Sweeter
Jolly Brothers - Conscious Man
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Jigsaw Feeling
Bad Manners - Echo Gone Wrong
Dub Specialist - Lagos
The Beat - Twist and Crawl
Max Romeo & The Upsetters - War Ina Babylon
Judge Dread - Big Five ®
The Police - Reggatta de Blanc
Dennis Brown - Your Man
Magazine - Light Pours Out of Me (Peel Session)
Grace Jones - Private Life (Long Version 2)
Third World - Now That We've Found Love
Black Uhuru - Sinsemilla
Tony Tuff - Chant Down Babylon
The Selecter - Black And Blue
Brain Damage - Hurtful Dub
Sneaker Pimps - Tesko Suicide
Kerogen - Hope
Jah Division - Transmission Dub
Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Watching The Detectives
The Damned - Anti-Pope
Culture - Two Sevens Clash
Madness - Swan Lake
Bill Loveday - Reggae For It Now
Public Image Limited - Death Disco (12")
Blondie - Pretty Baby
The Cramps - Garbageman
The Meditations - Miracles
The Members - Offshore Banking Business  ®
Roy Ellis - One Way Ticket To The Moon ®
Madness - My Girl ®
Generation X - Gimme Some Truth
Augustus Pablo - Golden Seal
The Valentines - Blam Blam Fever
The Skids - The Saints Are Coming
The Fall - Stepping Out
Killing Joke - Turn To Red




No comments:

Post a Comment