From the DJ that brought you a decade of Lutons longest running dedicated goth club -
The Coven UK
Including the epic post-punk pub nights - Thursday Fury, Dark Night In Luton and The Friday Alternative.

Friday, 19 December 2014

The 2014 Overview

So there you go – an (almost) full year of Dark Nights, which basically means I’ve obviously still not managed to find decent employment in 2014, but in the meantime, we’ve managed to play a staggering 2488 songs during the nights and design another 49 separate posters!

It’s difficult to describe the year in one word, although looking back at the past reviews, the majority of them do seem to be written within a positive light. I’ve certainly had some entertaining and enjoyable nights, but if you judge in terms of what’s left of the alternative crowd that I used to rally, it's quite disappointing especially considering the lack of other available alternative options in the town!

Still, whilst I prefer not to pigeon hole the night, it comes as no surprise to me that Gary Numan manage to top the ‘most played’ artist. Obviously I’m still left with some gothic overtones from my past, and I expect that’ll always stay with me. Thankfully other genres have crept in, and I consider the night to be certainly more open to a wider interpretation, especially around the ‘Dark Psych’ nights Lee and I have been experimenting on since August. These nights are still yet to be explored or even exploited by the group, so I certainly hope that people will venture out more in 2015 in seeking new musical inspiration, and experience the essence of what we’re trying to achieve and what great music there is to offer!

So, this year, I’ve managed to produce theme nights in the form of:-
Night Of The Dark Shadows,
Anti-Valentines Special,
Dark Night in Darko,
50 Dark Nights In Luton,
The Extended Mixes Night,
The Alternative 80s (Part II),
Pioneers,
Black Friday,
Chilled Night In Luton,
4 Dark Psych nights,
Some Candy Talking,
The Demo Night,
Return of The (Dead) King,
and of course, the disastrous Merciful Nuns Meteora Release Party.

This year has also included new material from Aeon Sable,  Peter Murphy, The Amazing Snakeheads, The Underground Youth, New Model Army, Whispers In The Shadows, Project Pitchfork, White Manna, Die Antwoord, Merciful Nuns, Diary Of Dreams, New Days Delay, Dressmaker, Combichrist, Clan of Xymox, KVB, You The Living, Click Click, Cult of Dom Keller, Dead Rabbits, U2, Arndales, Linea Aspera and Lebanon Hanover to mention only a few and will look forward new offerings in 2015.

The ‘top 10’ of most played artists as follows:-

44        Gary Numan/Tubeway Army
43        Killing Joke
40        The Cure
37        The Cult
33        Siouxsie & The Banshees
32        Sisters Of Mercy
32        The Clash
31        The Jam
30        Bauhaus
29        New Model Army

So, time for the obligatory thank you’s, with the main appreciation really go to The George 2nd venue for letting me continue to divulge in these nights, our three main guest DJs Ralph, Chris & Lee whom all have contributed so much to the nights when called upon, and special thanks to guests Adrian and Seamus who have supported the night every chance they got.

I’m taking a break now for a while, whilst I seek inspiration, so keep watching the skies and I’ll see you in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment